How to bake with keif
1. Separate Desired Amount of Kief
- 1 serving (As in the entire amount you bake with) is roughly 1 gram of fine kief. this will make aproximately 6-8 indivdual portions
- Depending on potency .75 grams to 2.0 grams of kief is a safe range to stay in when dosing
- Always estimate low until you see how edibles affect you, everyone is different
2. Place Kief In Oven-Safe Air Tight Container
- If possible a true air tight metal container is best, if not...
- The same effect can reached by placing the kief in an oven safe pan and placing two layers of tin foil on top of the container
3. Bake Kief for 25 Minutes in 225 Degree Oven
- Try to keep from opening the door, the more stable of temperature in the oven the better
4. Remove Container and Let cool
- Remove container and place on stovetop
5. Remove Lid Or Foil Once Container Has Cooled
- If some vapor still sneaks out it is ok.
6. Put The Decarbed Kief In ANYTHING
- Now that the kief is decarbed you can put it in just about any food dish you can think of as long as the temperature does not exceed 400 degrees Fahrenheit where you begin to risk losing the potency of your kief
- Some of our favorites are
- Chocolate Cake
- Macaroni and Cheese
How to pack a keif Bowl
1. Pack a Stopper
- Kief is a very fine substance, so if you were to simply just place keif in the bowl it would begin to be sucked through the bottom inevitably wasting your kief
- So simply place a small amount of regular ground up bud at the bottom of the bowl and pack it down. This should take up approximately 1/3 of the bowl for a large Kief bowl.
2. Pack Kief On Top Of Stopper
- Pack kief hard enough to flatten but soft enough to still allow it to burn.
- The top of the bowl should be spongy to the touch, not hard.
3. Corner It!
- Kief smokes very slowly and is very potent. So, corner the bowl as much as you can and slowly advance across the bowl. By doing this your bowl will last exponentially longer.
- Be careful when waiting between hits, due to the kief's nature it will still burn even when not being hit. An easy way to put out the bowl is by capping it with your grinder if it is metal.
other top uses for keif
1. Top off your buds with a little kief
This is the easiest way to put your kief to use. Simply sprinkle a tiny bit of kief over the cannabis buds in your bowl, bong, one-hitter etc. Kief, when heated, tends to burn quickly and will continue to stay lit until it is all gone. To avoid wasting product while you catch your breath between each draw, it is recommended that you space the kief out by lining just the outside of a bowl (as opposed to covering the entire top layer).
2. Add kief to your morning cup of coffee
One of the most popular ways of consuming kief is by putting it in your morning cup of joe. The heat of the coffee or cappuccino will activate the kief’s cannabinoids, making them more available for consumption. Ingesting kief this way will produce a strong, long-lasting effect after just 15-30 minutes, much like eating an infused edible.
3. Whip up some kief butter
Just like you can make infused butter with cannabis flower or hash oil, you can also use kief to produce a stronger end-product. Simply place butter (not margarine) into a crock pot on medium heat until melted completely. Then add your kief and stir every 10 to 15 minutes for 5 hours. Remove the kief butter from the heat and place in a heat-proof container (a bowl). After it cools completely place a lid on the container and put it in the refrigerator to harden.
4. Brew kief tea
Much like you can put kief into your coffee, you can also add it to your favorite cup of hot tea. It only takes a pinch of kief (1 gram will be plenty for 4 6oz drinks) to create a powerful drink.
5. Turn kief into hash
Hash is basically just heated and pressurized kief. Applying heat and pressure to kief alters its composition by rupturing the resin glands, changing its taste, consistency, and look. The color of kief typically darkens the more it is pressurized. Just as there are many ways you can collect kief, there are many ways to make your own hash. Here is a simple DIY method that involves parchment paper (not wax paper), an iron, and a buffer (such as a t-shirt, thin towel or even damp newspaper):
- Heat iron to lowest setting – no steam
- Take the parchment (adjust to amount to be pressed – typically about a foot), fold in half and place on an iron-ready surface (preferably an ironing board)
- Place a light layer of kief on the bottom half of the parchment paper (not too thick – about a ¼ inch) and fold the top half over, keeping the kief toward the fold
- Put the buffer over the parchment paper
- Apply pressure with the iron for no more than 3 or 4 seconds at a time, for about 20 swipes, flipping the paper’s side every few swipes
- Check your progress and adjust heat or force of swipes if too loose or sticky
- Don’t forget to turn off the iron